Thursday 16 January 2014

Gluten Free Lemon and Cardamom Cake



If I can make an edible gluten free lemon and cardamom cake there is hope for all out there!

What you need:

1 lemon
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
200g ground almonds
100g sugar (separated into 50g & 50g)
4 medium eggs
1 greased baking tin
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon baking powder 

I'll show you step by step with pictures how to do it!


Grate the lemon peel into a mixing bowl with 50g of the sugar and the ground cardamom. Give them a quick mix!


Separate your eggs. The egg yolk goes into the mixture of lemon, cardamon, and sugar. Mix it.


 

Add in all the ground almond and baking powder. I actually get my ground almond from Lidl because it's cheaper than the health food shops. Normally located with the baking stuff!


Grease the tin! I line it with parchment, not very well mind you!


In a very clean bowl, make sure it's not metal, whip your egg whites. Slowly add the rest of your sugar and the white wine vinegar until you've a stiff peak. I've a whisk attachment on the hand blender but it still takes elbow grease!


Start combining your whipped whites and the rest of the ingredients. Do it a section at a time, it makes it easier. Make sure you mix from the bottom because bits will stick there! If you mix it too much you'll undo all the egg whipping so take it easy with the spatula!


When it's all combined pour it into the baking tin! Honestly, I don't know the size of the cake tin, but it's this spring one from Ikea! I like it because I can get the cake out without hassle.


Pop it into a preheated oven at 175 C for 35 minutes. My oven is fan but it's 180-5 C in a non fan oven. 


Let it cool when you take it out and run a sharp knife around the edges. I normally whip up some icing sugar and the juice of the lemon, poke a few holes with a toothpick and pour over while it's hot so it seeps in, but it's an optional extra!

Happy Baking! Send me your pic's on Facebook or Twitter!

21/1/2014

Update: The guys at buyersclub.ie asked to put this up on their site. It can be found here!




No comments:

Post a Comment